Expectations and duties of editorial staff positions
In addition to the duties listed, each applicant must have a professional attitude, work well under pressure and work well with others. Knowledge of grammar and AP style is required for each editor. The duties of each position are subject to be changed, added to, shortened and/or rearranged as the year progresses. Applications can be downloaded here.
The deadline to submit an application has been extended through next Wednesday, Sept. 19. Please submit applications via email to email@example.com or in person at the Student Media Center on Sunday-Thursday evenings after 5:00 p.m.
Assistant Arts & Culture Editor:
The assistant arts & culture editor must be present for the daily budget meeting and schedule his or her classes for budget three days a week (Sunday-Thursday).
● Work with the arts & culture editor to compile three to four stories a day
● Write at least one arts & culture article a week
● Attend budget, edit stories and stay until pages are designed at least two days a week
● Manage the weekly arts & culture budget and communicate with staff of writers to find story ideas and assign stories
● Submit requests for photos and graphics through the newsroom’s system
● Edit arts & culture copy for content, AP style, grammar, structure, etc.
● Recruit at least three additional arts & culture writers by the end of each semester
● Be present at biweekly meetings with writers in which articles are critiqued and stories are assigned
● Be prepared to step into the daily role of arts & culture editor if current editor is absent
Assistant Photography/Multimedia Editor:
The assistant photography/multimedia editor must be present for the daily budget meeting and schedule his or her classes for budget three days a week (Sunday-Thursday).
● Work with photography editor to compile photos or video for everything being published
● Cover at least two photo or video assignments a week
● Attend budget, help edit photos, stay until pages are designed at least three days a week
● Maintain a system for receiving photo and video coverage requests from each desk and
updating the newsroom’s weekly budget
● Manage the desk’s weekly multimedia calendar
● Communicate with photography staff to find feature photo ideas and assign coverage
● Edit photos and captions for content, composition, structure, etc.
● Provide online and social media staff with photos unique from print to post online
● Recruit photographers and videographers throughout the course of each semester
● Be present at weekly meetings with photographers in which photos/captions are
critiqued and coverage assignments are given
● Be prepared to step into the daily role of photography editor if current editor is absent
Assistant Online Editor:
The assistant online editor must be present for the daily budget meeting and schedule his or her classes for budget three days a week (Sunday-Thursday).
● Attend three budget meetings each week
● Work with online editor to coordinate online content that complements or improves the
quality of existing or upcoming articles
● Help produce an email newsletter each day of publication after articles are finalized
○ Note analytics for “The DM Morning Brief (subscriber changes, open rates, etc.)
● Publish finished articles online, including proper SEO optimization as well as linking to
previous DM stories and exterior sources relevant to each article
● Meet with section editors to identify potential onlinespecific
content and draft online versions of stories when necessary
● Extensive knowledge of WordPress
● Be able to learn new online concepts and skills quickly
● Be prepared to step into the daily role of online editor if current editor is absent
Download an application here and submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org