With spring party season already upon us, it can be a bit chaotic for first timers trying to understand what exactly goes at them, or if Sigma Apple Pie is having its event this weekend or if it already happened. It’s perfectly normal to be overwhelmed with the crazy weekends ahead, but to make it a little easier, here is a little survival guide on how to make it through your first Ole Miss spring party.
- Get ahold of a schedule. I promise, an in-depth, detailed list of every party each weekend and which parties are happening where is swimming around somewhere in one of your group chats or a friend’s GroupMe. Know what parties you’re interested in going to, and make plans with friends from there. This will make it easier to plan and coordinate.
- Know what you want to do, and make preparations in advance. Once you have figured out what party you want to go to, it is super important that you have a game plan for the day. Find a ride to pick you up from the event before your phone is all but dead. So have a backup plan. Even if you end up not needing a ride, still have one lined up in case things don’t going according to plan.
- Don’t overdo it (if you’re 21). With the hot weather, it will be very tempting to grab all the beverages your arms can hold and get caught up in the moment. And yes, it will be tempting to drink every last drop of whatever drinks are available, but don’t be that person who has to tap out when the event isn’t even halfway over, making it a burden on your friends and yourself the next morning when you’re filled with nauseated regret. Limit yourself to how much you drink every hour. And remember – hydration is key.
- Try to bring as little as possible. You don’t want to be carrying around any valuables and personal belongings that will be most likely lost or stolen. So strap on a fanny pack to store your must-have necessities and leave the rest at home. I suggest a pair of sunshades, gum and an extra charged battery for your phone in case it dies while you’re draining it trying to show everyone on Snapchat how much of a good time you are having.
- Pack a snack or two. You’ll quickly learn that these events are not catered, and save for the occasional table of crawfish, there aren’t any sources of food. So throw in a granola bar or snack pack in your bag. You’ll thank me later when you’re dying in the Southern heat.
- And lastly, have fun. Spring parties at Ole Miss are the holy grail of parties, so enjoy them! It’s a great time to make memories with your friends, and it’s something you’ll remember for a lifetime. So just remember to be safe, and have a good time.