Word on the street: Thoughts on head coach Matt Luke

Posted on Nov 28 2017 - 8:01am by Wilson Benton

Luke Logan is a sophomore accounting major from Hattiesburg and a member of the Ole Miss football team: 

Miss Ole Miss Savannah Smith is a senior public policy leadership and journalism double major from Corinth: 

Mikhail Love is a junior public policy leadership and international studies major from Jackson:  “Luke is a hometown Reb and has the respect of the players after keeping the ship steady through the storm,” he said. “I would like to have seen a more high caliber and nationally accredited hire, but I think Luke will be good for us in years to come.”

Julia Ashley is a senior art major from Seminary: 

Terrius Harris from Eagle River, Alaska, is a senior international business and French major: 

Shelton Wittenberg is a senior dietetics and nutrition major from Memphis, Tennessee: “Ole Miss made the right move hiring Matt Luke. He has loved Ole Miss football forever, and he is going to continue loving it and the players regardless of the NCAA sanctions,” she said. “We need a coach to bring Ole Miss together in the face of trials, and this season, Matt Luke has proven that he is capable of producing wins. There are things that need to be improved, but I think those changes will come with experience.”

“I trust the members of the team, especially the stars like A.J. Brown and D.K. Metcalf, who have continually expressed desire for him to be the man for the job,” he said. “The guys in the locker room know more than the fans.”

Ashley Biggs is a sophomore art major from Normal, Oklahoma: 

Joseph Upton is a freshman chemistry major from Jackson: “I think the players like him, and it will help keep some of them here as the NCAA sanctions come out,” he said.