Rebels land highly rated receiver ahead of National Signing Day

Posted on Feb 6 2018 - 8:29am by Josh Gollihar

With less than 30 hours to go until National Signing Day, Matt Luke and the Ole Miss Rebels earned another big win Monday night by going into Texas and stealing a player. Four-star wide receiver Miles Battle shocked the country by announcing his commitment to Ole Miss over the University of Oregon on Twitter.

Battle adds another strong-framed receiver – 6-foot-4, 188-pounds – to the Rebels’ 2018 recruiting class. He racked up 2,630 yards and 34 receiving touchdowns during his career at Cy Creek High School in Houston, Texas. According to 24/7 Sports, Battle is the 51st ranked receiver in the country and the 37th ranked player in the state of Texas. Battle is the latest Lone Star receiver to choose Oxford. He joins soon-to-be teammate DaMarkus Lodge and former Rebel standout Quincy Adeboyejo.

Miles Battle (Courtesy: 247Sports)

The newest member of the Nasty Wide Outs is a well-rounded receiver. Battle uses his length and athleticism to bring down contested catches and his elusiveness in the open field allows him to finish off catches for scores. Do not be surprised if he plays a vital part in Luke’s offense as a freshman. Battle is receivers coach Jacob Peeler’s third high-end recruit in this class on top of the talent already on the roster.

24/7 Sports’ Crystal Ball Rankings gave Battle a 67 percent chance to commit to Oregon and only a 33 percent chance to choose Ole Miss. He is the 19th player in the 2018 Ole Miss recruiting class that was either committed or already signed during the early signing period.

With his commitment, Luke’s inaugural class jumps into the top 30 in the country at number 28, three spots ahead of in-state rival Mississippi State, who check in at 31. 28th is far removed from the No. 90 spot the class held earlier last fall.