Ole Miss head coach Matt Luke confirmed on Wednesday that Demarcus Gregory and Miles Battle are no longer practicing with the team and will likely enter the transfer portal.
Luke said the two redshirt freshman wide receivers have expressed concerns about limited playing time during the season and have both decided to leave the program.
“I do not know if they have officially entered the portal,” Luke said. “I have talked to both of them about playing time, and it is likely that they will enter the portal. Again, it comes down to playing time. They are both good kids, and I wish them the best.”
Gregory has caught six passes for 127 yards this year, and Battle has only two catches for 20 yards. Gregory and Battle are the second and third players to leave the program after quarterback Grant Tisdale entered the transfer portal two weeks ago.
The Ole Miss offense, led by coordinator Rich Rodriguez, has been one-dimensional since the injury of Matt Corral against California. John Rhys Plumlee took over the starting position in a two-quarterback system and has been more of a threat running the ball while Corral, the better passer of the two, stays on the sideline. Since then, the Rebels have struggled to get the ball to their receivers with only five passing touchdowns in six games.
With Plumlee continuing to get the most of the snaps for Ole Miss this season, the run-heavy scheme could lead to more transfers on the offensive side of the ball.